You may have already heard about the benefits of cannabis oil for humans, but what about dogs? Not only can humans benefit from the powerful effects of CBD oil, but so can our beloved pets. In fact, research has found CBD oil to have plenty of positive effects on dogs and can alleviate a number of symptoms associated with all sorts of medical health issues.
Here are a few things you may want to know about CBD oil as it relates to relieving uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptoms in dogs from common health issues.
CBD Oil Can Alleviate Many Different Painful and Uncomfortable Symptoms
There are all sorts of applications for CBD oil without the need to reach for pharmaceuticals.
Here are some of the health benefits of CBD oil for dogs:
- Reduces anxiety
- Helps fight cancer
- Relieves pain
- Treats seizures
- Reduces inflammation
- Protects the nervous system
- Alleviates nausea
- Increases appetite
- Treats gastrointestinal issues
- Improves cardiovascular health
Studies on CBD oil and its effects on dogs continue to be conducted to solidify its health benefits and identify others that have yet to be discovered.
Related: 7 Surprising Health Benefits Of CBD Oil
CBD Oil For Dogs is Safe and Legal
CBD oil is legal in the US thanks to its extremely low levels of THC, the cannabinoid that is illegal under federal law.
Many also find that CBD oil is a safe option for dogs as an alternative to prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals, even when taken for long periods of time and at high doses.
That said, it is always important to speak with your vet if your dog is on any medication, as CBD can reduce the activity of liver enzymes that break down many prescription drugs in the body.
Related: Does CBD Oil Have Side Effects?
CBD Comes in Various Forms
There are several different types of CBD products, and like humans, dogs can take advantage of CBD in various formats, including:
- Oil extracts: CBD oil is usually the option chosen when quick, effective relief is desired to alleviate more severe symptoms. They also allow for more accurate dosage compared to other formats.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are liquid extracts that are made by adding mixtures of oil, alcohol, or vegetable glycerine to CBD compounds. They come in a bottle and dropper format that is used to administer a few drops of oil to dogs under the tongue, which helps the compound be absorbed more quickly into the bloodstream to provide immediate relief. They're not as strong as oil extracts, but they are well suited for alleviating mild symptoms.
- Topicals: Dogs that suffer from allergic reactions, inflammation, and pain and aches in their joints and muscles can have hemp-infused topicals applied directly to their skin to provide immediate localized relief. These creams are absorbed into the skin and are usually mixed with other compounds to provide soothing relief, such as herbal extracts and essential oils.
- Treats: Feeding dogs medications can be pretty tough, and CBD dog treats give pet owners the option to treat their pet with a CBD format that is easy to swallow and tastes great. They come in all sorts of different flavor combinations, making them tough to decipher between a real treat and medication.
Related: How To Find The Right CBD Product
CBD Dosage For Dogs Matters
Like humans, dogs require a specific dosage of CBD oil in order for it to be effective and to avoid any potential side effects. Although the precise amount of drops required for one dose can vary among CBD oil products, they typically consist of two to four drops about three times a day.
The dosage can and should also be adjusted based on the size of the dog and the exact condition and symptoms being treated.
While it's easier to administer oil form to dogs, they can also be given CBD in capsule or tablet form. In this case, the dosage would usually be about one tablet once or twice a day based on a concentration of 150 to 200mg of extract per capsule.
Regardless of the type of CBD oil given, it's always very important to follow the dosing instructions as per the manufacturer of the product. Adjustments can then be made as necessary.
Choosing A High-Quality CBD Oil is Important
Not all CBD oil products are created equal. Ideally, you should choose a good-quality CBD oil that is safe and highly effective. As such, there are a few things to consider when purchasing a CBD oil product for your dog.
For starters, it's important to understand the method of extraction of the CBD oil. Some extraction methods are better than others, with the CO2 "cold" extraction method considered to be the best. This method of extraction tends to produce a more pure, potent, residue-free product and requires the use of more expensive equipment, which is why these products tend to be pricier. However, trying to save a few dollars on cheaper, lower-quality products is not advised.
A lab report is also a helpful way to find out if the product you're buying is high-quality. The lab analysis will tell you how much CBD is in the product, as well as whether or not there is any THC present. If THC is in the product, the lab report will tell you how much. Anything over 0.3% THC should be avoided.
Ideally, the CBD oil product should be organic as well. This will ensure that the oil does not contain any pesticides or fungicides that are more often present in non-organic products.
As research continues on CBD oil for dogs, vets and pet owners are increasingly finding that this cannabis extract can provide a host of benefits. Whether a dog is suffering from gastrointestinal issues, anxiety, seizures, or even cancer, CBD oil can provide relief without the use of traditional pharmaceutical medication.
If you're considering giving your dog CBD oil, be sure to speak with your vet and choose a high-quality product that will provide the best results.